Wednesday, September 04, 2019

Wrapped Up In Love

I became a grandmother for the first time in October of 2016.  Several months earlier, my daughter came over to visit me. She sat me down and she handed me a ball of the softest cream coloured yarn.  She said, "Mama, I need you to make me a blanket out of this." Then she handed me a photography of an ultrasound. 
I searched for a pattern that would highlight the lovely texture of the yarn, and ended up with this lovely basketweave pattern.  As I worked, I dreamed of the grandchild I had not met yet, and how we would wrap the new baby up in this warm cosy gift from me. It is said that when you knit a gift for someone, that there is love woven in with every stitch. That certainly was the case with this special project!

My granddaughter will be three in October.  This is her favourite blanket, and it makes me so happy to see her comforted by it.  Those stitches contain lots of love from Grandma! This blanket has been washed more times than we can count, as it gets dragged back and forth to daycare for nap time, and gets used at home as well. 

In January, I will be blessed with another grand-baby, as my oldest son and his wife are expecting their first child. I am planning to use the same pattern to make a blanket for the new arrival, and you can be sure that there will be a lot of love going into every stitch for the new little one, from Grandma!

No comments: