Sunday, February 26, 2023

A Tale of Two Dragons

I love to knit and crochet. So when my youngest granddaughter, Evelyn, turned 3 in January, I decided that I would make her a dragon to cuddle. (Evelyn LOVES dragons!) 

I found a pattern online, grabbed my crochet hook and started to make Evelyn's dragon.  I wanted to use some soft snuggly yarn, and so I pulled some of my favourite velvety yarn from my stash.  I had enough yarn to make the head, but not more than that! I thought that I could purchase more of the same colour, but I was surprised to discover that the yarn I had used was discontinued, and not available anywhere. For some reason, this is a lesson that I never seem to learn - always make sure to have enough yarn BEFORE starting a project! 

So I ditched my first attempt, and then revisited my yarn collection. I found some lovely yarn that would do the trick. In about a week, I had completed my project, and added a few personal touches - an "E" for Evelyn and a number 3 to commemorate the occasion.  and I am happy to say that it was a huge hit with Miss Evelyn. She loved "Dixie Dragon".  

A few weeks later, Evelyn was over to visit. As she was searching for "treasures" on my bookcase, Ev pointed out a "dolly" that she wanted on the top shelf. It wasn't a doll - it was the head from my first attempt at making her dragon. She really wanted to see the thing, so in true grandmother fashion, I did not say no, I pulled the sad lump off of the shelf and I gave it to our little girl. Evelyn was quite enamored with this special toy. 
She hugged it, and kissed the "unembodied" head, with true affection. "It needs eyebrows, Grandma..." she told me with the authority that only a three year old could have. "It needs a body, Evelyn!" was my reply. "I love it, and it's for my home." she announced. 

Well, the head of the second dragon went home with Evelyn that day, and is part of the menagerie that sleeps in her bed at night, along with Dixie Dragon, of course! 

 

I am the QUEEN OF OVERTHINKERS, and this project, like all others involved me questioning whether I had done the pattern justice, and whether it was good enough to give as a gift to my granddaughter.  Evelyn taught me a valuable lesson:

It doesn't really  matter WHAT you make, or how well you make it - as long as it is made with love! 






Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following me

No comments: