Monday, October 07, 2019

Ten Minute Wonder

I am fortunate enough to work at a place that promotes Health and Wellness for its employees.  As a person with some mental health challenges (Anxiety Disorder and Depression) I have taken advantage of this support on more than one occasion.  Recently, I started a course called Bouncing Back, a six-week course. As the workbook states, the course is focused "on learning to be more resilient, productive, and happy during times of stress".  Bouncing Back, you are singing my tune! 

One of the exercises that we have been given is called the "Ten Minute Wonder".  We were asked to commit to a goal that was just for us, and our well-being. It is not to be something that we think that we should do, but something that we want that feels self-nurturing. We are to commit to only ten minutes a day for this goal.

Well, utilizing my creativity is already a HUGE part of my self-care.  I learned a long time ago, that one of the best ways to cope with my anxiety, and to keep the dark wolf at bay, was to spend time creating. So this should be easy for me, right?

Naturally, I thought that I would choose knitting or crocheting. I do it all time already, so that will make it easy. Plus, I have so many gifts I need to make... Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrong answer!

I reminded myself - not for others - just for ME!  

So I decided to commit to drawing. Drawing is something that I truly enjoy, and also am area where I would like to improve my skills.  It has been a long time since I have done any drawing, so think it will be the perfect goal.

Well, I jumped into the challenge for the first few days, and then it happened. I got too busy, I was too tired, I couldn't do it. Yes, ten minutes was TOO much to commit to. It was sad.  

When I went to the class, I found that most of us had a similar first week. Some had trouble even choosing a goal. At least I had achieved that much.  But as I told the instructor, "it was a challenge for me to find the time."  
Her response, "you will not FIND the time, you must TAKE the time for yourself!" A lightbulb was lit. I left the class with a completely different mindset. I am the only one in charge of my own well-being. I cannot wait for these things to be given to me. Instead, I need to TAKE this. It is important.

Since then, I have taken the time. And the interesting part of it, is that if I take the time, it often ends up being more than ten minutes. And the positive feelings I get from it are a wonderful payoff.  So far, so good.

My drawing from the weekend, with a little bit of watercolour pencil
 


3 comments:

Experience Invest said...

They are so cute!!!

Braddie G said...

I love painting as well. It gives me a wave of peace. When you are tired and in no mood of doing anything. Then it is a sign that you are stressed, always keep yourself happy and calm. Follow any of your passion to get relief from stress. You can also Buy Etizolam to treat stress, etc.

شوقي عوض said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالاحساء

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالقطيف

شركة تسليك مجاري بالاحساء